Jobs and Finances

Mechanical and Energy Engineering Career and Internship Assistance

UNT offers about 36,000 students many opportunities on campus and beyond. The Dallas-Fort Worth region is growing dynamically, which makes for a continually increasing number of employment and partnership opportunities.

Students can find assistance with locating career openings, student employment, internships and financial assistance through the UNT Career Center. About 20,000 students and more than 1,000 alumni use the Career Center each year as they seek career advice and employment, utilizing the center’s connections of more than 3,000 on-campus and 8,000 off-campus jobs, posted annually.

Students can also seek information about available internship and career options by speaking with their academic advisors or faculty mentors. These faculty and staff members can often provide insight into industry-specific opportunities.

Financial Advising

MEE Graduate advisor can discuss financial aid and assistantship options with you. The Student Financial Aid and Scholarships office also offers many resources to help students better understand their financial options. Visit Student Financial Aid & Scholarships in the Eagle Student Services Center, Room 228, or call (940) 565-2302 to speak with one of their representatives.

Have a specific question? Visit AskUNT to find answers.

Financial Aid

The University of North Texas provides a traditional college experience and the quality of a private university at an affordable cost. The university has been named one of America's 100 Best College Buys® for 16 consecutive years.

UNT is committed to helping students manage the cost of their education. About 75 percent of UNT students receive financial aid and scholarships totaling more than $330 million annually. This includes more than $39 million in scholarships. Types of financial aid students receive include:

  • Graduate Assistantships (TA/TF/RA) — funds awarded based on merit and/or need; no repayment required
  • Scholarships — funds awarded based on merit and/or need; no repayment required
  • Grants — funds awarded based on need; no repayment required
  • Loans — funds that must be repaid at some point


Assistantships support many graduate students. Teaching assistantships are funded by the department, and research assistantships are funded by individual faculty research grants. Out-of-state and international students who are funded at least half time are eligible for in-state tuition rates. To apply for an assistantship, complete the application and bring to the MEE main office at F101 at Discovery Park: Graduate Application for TA/TF/RA (.pdf)

Types of Assistantships

  • Teaching Fellow (TF): Teaching fellows have direct student contact in a formal instructional setting and are charged with primary responsibility for teaching a course for credit under the direct supervision of a faculty member or chair, receiving regular in-service training and planned and periodic evaluations. Teaching fellows are listed as the instructor of record.
  • Teaching Assistant (TA): Teaching assistants are graduate students who do not have primary responsibility for teaching a course for credit; they perform under the instructor’s direct supervision and provide general assistance to the instructional process, such as grading, tutoring, etc. Teaching assistants may not be listed as instructor of record.
  • Research Assistant (RA): Research assistants are graduate students who are engaged in research activities under the direction and supervision of a principal investigator or faculty working on research.
  • Graduate Services Assistant (GSA): Graduate assistants are graduate students whose responsibilities may be administrative in nature or consist of other activities that do not generally fit within the TF, TA or RA job responsibilities.


A Grader at the University of North Texas Department of Mechanical and Energy Engineering is tasked with gathering, grading and returning class work for an assigned class within a timely and efficient manner. This job includes grading, inputting, and writing notations on student assignments. In addition to other duties assigned by the professor related to coursework tasks. 

To apply for a Grader Position with the MEE Department please click here.

To review the process for applying for a grader position please look over this form: Grader Application Process (.pdf)