Graduate Academic Certificate in Energy

The Department of Mechanical and Energy Engineering is proud to offer a Graduate Academic Certificate in Energy. This program is designed to meet the increasing demands of students with a comprehensive understanding of energy engineering, social/environmental studies, energy policy, economics and management. This program will also be unique in the State of Texas and among only a few in the US.

Admission to the Program
     1. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university (could be Non-engineering B.S.).
     2. GPA of 2.8 or above

Certicate Requirements
The student must complete 15 hours of course work as follows and maintain at least a B average for all graduate courses.

Required Core Courses, 6 hours
The student must take the following two courses:
     MEEN 5000 - Energy: The Fundamentals
     MEEN 5240 - Energy: A World Perspective

Elective Courses, 9 hours
The student must choose three courses from the following list. Other relevant courses may be taken with the approval
of the graduate advisor.

     EENG 4350 - Renewable Electrical Power Systems
     MEEN 4110 - Alternative Energy
     MEEN 5200 - Principles of HVAC
     MEEN 5330 - Combustion Science and Engineering
     MEEN 5112 - Nuclear Energy
     MEEN 5210 - Solar Energy
     MEEN 5332 - Air Pollution Control Engineering
     MEEN 5150 - Thermal Energy Storage Systems and Applications
     MEEN 5300 - Advanced Thermodynamics
     MEEN 5315 - Nanoscale Energy Transport
     MEEN 4410 - Energy Harvesting System Design
     BIOL 6341 - Advanced Environmental Impact Assessment
     PHIL 6760 - Topics in Environmental Philosophy
     PHIL 4700 - Environmental Ethics
     PADM 5700 - Sustainability in a Changing World
     SOCI 5260/6500 – Sustainable Community Development (Environmental Sociology)

Steps to obtain Graduate Certificate in Energy

  • The applicant should first complete the online application at
  • Bring a copy of transcripts and pay the $75 fee at the ESSC next to the Willis Library (Current UNT students do not need to do this step)
  • Fill out the Department Application form: Graduate Academic Certificate in Energy and submit it to or you can bring it by the Mechanical & Energy Engineering office at Discovory Park in room F101.
  • All students should keep copies of all documents

IMPORTANT: Once you register online ask the Toulouse Graduate School to confirm it and get a transcript that says that you are in the certificate program. 

Additional Information
We are located at the UNT Department of Mechanical and Energy Engineering at 3490 North Elm, Denton, Texas 76207.
For additional information, please contact Dr. Tae-Youl Choi by phone (940-783-6334) or by email (

You can download this information here: Graduate Academic Certificate in Energy